Southeast Asia - 2005

Thursday, September 15, 2005

15 September 2005 – Phnom Penh

Phnom Penh, like the rest of Cambodia, continues to grow by leaps and bounds. There are several new hotels. Progress on the US embassy, just down the road from the Hotel Le Royal, is impressive. Perhaps they will have an office for me there someday???

My moto chauffer – “Lucky” – was waiting at the airport for me. He has filled out a bit since my last visit in December 2004, but then so have I!

Tonight’s agenda is to have some pizza by the Tonle Sap River, think about my schedule for the next few days, and get a good night’s rest. The number of people – namely children – that beg on the street is still appalling. I refuse to give them money or buy things from them. Tonight I buy them a large pizza instead and they descend on it like locusts.

The hotel must keep good records as they welcomed me back and gave me a room in the original building. As soon as I entered my room I became relaxed. I’m not sure if it was because I had returned to Cambodia, my vacation had begun, or I was just away from work. Regardless, returning to Cambodia is like slipping into some comfortable old shoes. “Comfortable” is the only word I can find to describe the feeling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home