Southeast Asia - 2005

Sunday, September 18, 2005

18 September 2005 – Phnom Penh

I am awake early again today, meeting lucky at 8:30. Plans changed slightly with a trip acreoss the river scheduled for this evening. We stopped by a couple more wats today. I really enjoy strolling around the perimeter of the wat which hosts the monk dormitories. Young men coming from the rural provinces seeking work in the city also stay in these dormitories and it is a very interesting place to walk around, meet people, talk, and learn about local life. In addition to interesting architecture, it is a good place for photos.

After the wats we visited a local artist’s gallery. The gentleman is notable, having commissioned work at the best hotels and government offices. I ended buying three paintings and one silkscreen for the new house I have yet to purchase. The young lady running the shop was very pleased with the sale she made.

After returning to the hotel I take a swim in the pool, get cleaned up and walk to the FCC (www.fcccambodia.com) for a snack. Unfortuantely, I was seated next to a man and two woment straight out of “The Ugly American” novel. I was not quite sure if they were employed by the U.S. Embassy (they were American) or just teachers. They were jaded, miserable folks complaining and gossiping the afternoon away.

Shortly thereafter I experienced my first rainy season cloudburst. The rain (a downpour really) forced me into “The Riverside Café” for shelter. After ordering a beer I quickly saw why this was my first visit to this establishment. I was the only guy with a callgirl companion by my side. I’m sure that all these guys are nice enough gents, but it was a very sorry scene – something out of a film set in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam war.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home