Southeast Asia - 2005

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

20 September 2005 – Phnom Penh & Bangkok

I bid farewell to Cambodia today. In a way this is my “goodbye to Asia” vacation. Europe is fun to visit but there is a special place in my heart for exotic Asia. I think that part of it has to do with how different it is from home. Another factor is the gentleness of the people – particularly in Southeast Asia.

Now in Bangkok for the night I see the city has not changed much. Staying at the Peninsula this time – the Oriental was a bit of a disappointment – and I quickly determine it is my favorite in Bangkok. Not as good as the original Hong Kong branch – but just wonderful.

I go to a place that I’ve always wanted to visit but never did, Jim Thompson’s house. I did not know that he was a former OSS dude. The house and its furnishings are beautiful and well worth the short walk from the skytrain station.

For dinner I go to Cabbages and Condoms. It has gotten much larger since my last visit and I was a little disappointed with the food. Either it quality has gone down or my palate has become more refined. I think it is the former.

Watching the activity on the Chao Prhaya river from my room is fascinating. Even late at night small passenger and boats are abundant on the river.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home